Calvary

Calvary is marked with a Cross in Section E in the May 2011 Map of Cemetery.

Please click on images to enlarge.


Calvary in 1903        Calvary in 1910    Calvary in 1968


The original Calvary was constructed by 1903 and included statues of Our Lady, Mary Madelene and St. John the Apostle.  However, the statues gradually eroded and were removed in the early 1970s.

The original lettering, which can be viewed in the 1903 and 1910 photographs, stated, ‘Pray for the souls of those whose remains are interred in this cemetery. RIP’  However, the lettering gradually eroded and was removed prior to the 1968 photograph.

According to Bishop Joseph Duffy’s booklet, ‘A History of St. Joseph’s Church’, published in October 1990;
‘In 1929, a bequest from J. O’Neill amounted to £50.  Peter Donnelly* (see below) erected the [new] Calvary in the Cemetery. 

The Architect was Thomas Joseph Cullen [from Dublin]. 

The figures for the Calvary were supplied by Messrs. Bull Ltd., Dublin. 

Total cost was £196. 13s. 10d.’

(* Peter Donnelly was a Building Contractor from Magheross, Carrickmacross, who later had the contract for the construction of the Stations of the Cross.) 

The three photographs of Calvary dated circa 1903, 1910 and 1968 are courtesy of PJ McCabe, Carrickmacross.